EARLY 20TH CENTURY
In 1905, a merger establishes the company ‘Aktien-Gesellschaft R. Ph. Waagner – L. und J. Biró & A. Kurz’. In the following year, the company supplies stage equipment to the Vienna State Opera. Waagner-Biro, the company name that endures to this day, is introduced in 1924.
During the interwar period from 1919 to 1939, Waagner-Biro builds many important bridges in Vienna; these include the Schweden Bridge, Floridsdorf Bridge, Frieden Bridge, Augarten Bridge and more.
In 1934, Waagner-Biro buys the company Gridl, which had been active in structural engineering and bridge building since the mid-19th century, creating many important structures in Vienna (including the Palmenhaus in Schönbrunn, the Colonnade at Marienbad, the Simmering Gasometers and numerous roof structures on orbital roads as well as greenhouses and palm houses in several crown lands of the monarchy).